CRUST: One double recipe for Edna’s Perfect Pie Crust.(Here are some good substitution recipes: Simply Recipes)
- 2 pounds (6 cups) fresh blueberries, rinsed and stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for thickening)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare the crust, doubling the recipe. Roll out half of the dough on a lightly floured work surface, about 13 inches in diameter. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, and trim the edges to a 1/2 inch over the edge all around the pan. Chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon zest. Place blueberries in a separate large bowl and add lemon juice. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the large bowl and then transfer the entire mixture to the bottom crust of the 9-inch pie pan. Roll out remaining dough to the same size as the first. Place on top of the berry filling. Tuck the top dough over and under the edge of the bottom dough, and crimp the edges with your fingers. Sprinkle the crust with granulated sugar.
- Optional for Superior Results: At this point you may place the entire pie to the refrigerator to chill until the dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Remove the unbaked pie from refrigerator. Score the top pie crust with three cuts to allow steam to escape during baking. Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven with a lined baking pan on the lower rack to catch any spills. Bake for 20 minutes at 425°F. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 40 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before serving. Makes 10-12 servings.
Slice of Blueberry Pie Originally uploaded by Edna Barney