Saturday, April 09, 2005

Grandma's Daffodils


Grandma's Daffodils ~ CLICK picture to see Close-Up

Here is a very special daffodil, narcissus, or jonquil; I'm not certain which. I transplanted a few bulbs from my Grandma Via's front garden near Doyle's River at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. On this April day, those bulbs are blooming in my garden, about 150 miles north as the crow flies, high above Pohick Creek. I would really like to know which Grandma Via planted them, as four generations of my Via ancestors lived there. It could have been Grandmother Sally Turk Via whose husband served in the War of 1812 and who probably built the house. I know for certain that their youngest son raised his family there, so it could have been my Grandmother Susan Walton Via. Her husband should have fought for Virginia in the "War of Northern Agression", but he didn't, and that is a whole other story. Or even my great grandma Mollie may have put them in, as she lived there taking care of Grandmother Susan in her final years, in the early 1900s.

I am wondering if anyone recognizes this flower species, as it seems quite unusual. It lacks the center trumpet usually seen in daffodils and jonquils, and instead has many ruffled petals. The outside petals, and some inner ones are green, rather than the usual yellow. If you can, please help me solve my daffodil mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment may be reviewed before it is published.