Saturday, April 09, 2005

Wild Daffodils

Perhaps my mystery daffodil is the "Queen Anne's double jonquil" that I found here: Species Daffodils, Wild Variants, and Wild Hybrids. I don't really think so, because mine has only one bloom per stalk, but after reading their description of these wild daffodils, I do believe that is what I've got from the Via homestead. I wonder where Grandmother Via found the wild jonquils. I do not believe they were native to the Virginia mountains, or were they?


It could be the Double Campernelle; or, Queen Anne's Double Jonquil, although mine is not as pretty as the illustration. I know it is not the 'Rip Van Winkle', as that one is a miniature daffodil, from 1884. Mine is not miniature and I believe it to be older.

THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF DAFFODILS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment may be reviewed before it is published.